Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination 8th Edition
Get the tools and skills you need to prepare for the NCLEX®! Often called the ‘the best NCLEX® exam review book ever,’ Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 8th Edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect the most recent test plan. This new edition includes 5,200 NCLEX examination-style questions in the book and online. A companion Evolve website includes thousands of questions that allow you to decide how you want to practice! Don’t make the mistake of assuming the quality of the questions is the same in all NCLEX exam review books because only Silvestri includes the kinds of questions that consistently test the clinical judgment skills necessary to pass today’s NCLEX exam. Even better, all answers include detailed rationales to help you learn from your answer choices and test-taking strategies with tips on how to best approach each question. Written by the most trusted name in NCLEX review, this is THE book of choice for NCLEX preparation. But don’t just take our word for it ― read any customer review or ask your classmates to see why there’s nothing else like it!
- Over 5,200 practice questions in the text and online offer ample testing practice.
- The 75-question comprehensive exam covers all content areas in the book in the same percentages that they are covered on the actual NCLEX-RN test plan.
- Inclusion of all alternate item format questions covers multiple responses, prioritizing [ordered response], fill-in-the-blank, figure/illustration [hot spot], chart/exhibit, video, and audio questions to give students practice with mastering prioritizing, decision-making, and critical thinking skills.
- Presents introductory chapters on preparation guidance for the NCLEX-RN, nonacademic preparation, test-taking strategies, the CAT format, and the NCLEX-RN from a new graduate’s experience.
- UNIQUE! Audio review summaries on pharmacology, fluids, and electrolytes, and acid-base balance are found on the Evolve companion site.
- Expanded coverage of delegation, prioritization and triage/disaster management in the practice questions reflect the areas of increased emphasis on the NCLEX exam.
- UNIQUE! A detailed test-taking strategy and rationale is included for each question, offering clues for analyzing and uncovering the correct answer option
- UNIQUE! Priority concept call-outs highlight specific concepts related to nursing practice. Concepts have been updated to reflect the latest Giddens: Concepts for Nursing Practice text.
- UNIQUE! More Priority Nursing Action boxes communicate new and pertinent content.
- Question categories by cognitive level, the client needs area, integrated process, and content area give you completely customizable exams or study sessions when using the companion Evolve site.
- UNIQUE! Pyramid Alert! boxes spotlight important nursing concepts and procedures and include tips and shortcuts for remembering key information.
- Mnemonics included where appropriate throughout the text.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated content incorporates clinical updates and reflects the latest NCLEX-RN test plan.
- NEW! Clinical Judgment Situations test critical thinking skills and feature Next Generation NCLEX item types to assist in applying the skill of clinical judgment.
- NEW! UPDATED! Bioterrorism content includes information on nuclear radiation.
Several NEW prioritizing questions test prioritizing skills.
- NEW! Pharmacology classifications code with practice questions helps you to focus on specific medication classes.
- NEW! Special Populations chapter focuses on nursing care of special and vulnerable populations.
- NEW! The complex Care chapter includes information on sepsis, shock, sedation, critical care nursing interventions, and more.
- NEW! Health Problem code with every practice question helps you to focus your study on particular topics.
- NEW! Anemia section added to the Oncological and Hematological Problems chapter.
- NEW! A systematic case scenario helps you focus on applying health and physical assessment concepts.
About the author:
Linda Anne Silvestri has provided decades of nursing education and leadership that have directly impacted the growing and needed nursing workforce. Her research focused on a holistic investigation of predictors leading to success on the licensure examination. Her findings, published in the Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, led to significant contributions, filling a critical need in NCLEX® preparation. Linda’s vision was to provide a holistic educational approach to ensure overall well-being in test anxiety and self-efficacy and success on the NCLEX®. As a leader in providing global NCLEX® preparation resources published by Elsevier, she strives for excellence in publication-quality, based on the discovery of new knowledge in nursing, standards of care, and research-based studies. Her published resources ensure nursing graduates’ ability to make sound clinical judgments as they serve the public and the nursing profession. Linda is also a Next Generation NCLEX® Subject Matter Expert and Consultant for Elsevier.
Angela Silvestri is a well-known nurse educator, researcher, and author. She has been teaching and working in university administrative roles for the past 10 years at all levels of nursing education. She has experience teaching across the program and in the classroom and clinical settings in the areas of Nutrition and Human Development Across the Lifespan, Foundations of Care in Nursing, Gerontological Nursing, Complex Care in Nursing, and Leadership and Transition to Practice in pre-nursing and undergraduate nursing programs. She is currently serving as the Program Director for the undergraduate BSN program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She is a sought-out speaker at national conferences on the topic of nursing school success. Her passion for college student success comes through in her work at the School of Nursing teaching Leadership and licensure exam preparation and in publishing research and best-selling licensure exam review resources on national and international levels.
Contents of the ebook:
Unit I: NCLEX-RN Exam Preparation
1. The NCLEX-RN Examination
2. Pathways to Success
3. The NCLEX-RN Examination from a Graduate’s Perspective
4. Test-Taking Strategies
Unit II: Professional Standards in Nursing
5. Care of Special Populations
6. Ethical and Legal Issues
7. Prioritizing Client Care: Leadership, Delegating, and Emergency Response Planning
Unit III: Foundations of Care
8. Fluids and Electrolytes
9. Acid-Base Balance
10. Vital Signs and Laboratory Reference Intervals
12. Health and Physical Assessment of the Adult Client
13. Provision of a Safe Environment
14. Calculation of Medication and Intravenous Prescriptions
15. Perioperative Nursing Care 16. Positioning Clients
Unit IV: Growth and Development Across the Life Span
17. Theories of Growth and Development
18. Growth, Development, and Stages of Life
19. Care of the Older Client
Unit V: Maternity Nursing
20. Reproductive System
21. Prenatal Period
22. Risk Conditions Related to Pregnancy
23. Labor and Birth
24. Problems with Labor and Birth
25. The Postpartum Period
26. Postpartum Complications
27. Care of the Newborn
28. Maternity and Newborn Medications
Unit VI: Pediatric Nursing
29. Integumentary Problems
30. Hematological Problems
31. Oncological Problems
32. Metabolic and Endocrine Problems
33. Gastrointestinal Problems
34. Eye, Ear, and Throat Problems
35. Respiratory Problems
36. Cardiovascular Problems
37. Renal and Genitourinary Problems
38. Neurological and Cognitive Problems
39. Musculoskeletal Problems
40. Immune Problems and Infectious Diseases
41. Pediatric Medication Administration and Calculations
Unit VII: Integumentary Problems of the Adult Client
42. Integumentary System
43. Integumentary Medications
Unit VIII: Oncological and Hematological Problems of the Adult Client
44. Oncological and Hematological Problems
45. Oncological and Hematological Medications
Unit IX: Endocrine Problems of the Adult Client
46. Endocrine Problems
47. Endocrine Medications
Unit X: Gastrointestinal Problems of the Adult Client
48. Gastrointestinal Problems
49. Gastrointestinal Medications
Unit XI: Respiratory Problems of the Adult Client
50. Respiratory Problems
51. Respiratory Medications
Unit XII: Cardiovascular Problems of the Adult Client
52. Cardiovascular Problems
53. Cardiovascular Medications
Unit XIII: Renal and Urinary Problems of the Adult Client
54. Renal and Urinary Problems
55. Renal and Urinary Medications
Unit XIV: Eye and Ear Problems of the Adult Client
56. Eye and Ear Problems
57. Eye and Ear Medications
Unit XV: Neurological Problems of the Adult Client
58. Neurological Problems
59. Neurological Medications
Unit XVI: Musculoskeletal Problems of the Adult Client
60. Musculoskeletal Problems
61. Musculoskeletal Medications
Unit XVII: Immune Problems of the Adult Client
62. Immune Problems
63. Immunological Medications
Unit XVIII: Mental Health Problems of the Adult Client
64. Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
65. Mental Health Problems
67. Crisis Theory and Intervention
68. Psychiatric Medications
Unit XIX 70. Complex Care – NEW!
Unit XX: Comprehensive Test
Reviews about the ebook:
- Mrs. Majeedplz:
This NCLEX review is everything!!! My program is concept based and I use it as a general study guide. In fact, I brought the other resources to go along with it. As a student that struggles with testing my grades have improved 10x.
A must-have for nursing students.
An absolute must for all potential NCLEX takers. I suggest making this book your bible right from day one of nursing school.
Recommend to everyone!!!
- Duchess Nicole:
This book was a major factor in my ability to pass Pediatric Nursing, Complex Critical Care Nursing, and Medical-Surgical Nursing. I only wish I had it before my OB rotations. I used it to review for NCLEX as well. I can’t recommend it enough. Easy to follow format. Graphs and charts give you only what you need to know, and I swear it’s tailored to NCLEX style questions. My most important resource during nursing school.
- Yaima Solano:
Great book with awesome reviews on The most important topics to know in nursing school. Went through different chapters and the information is accurate and concise. Bought it now that I’m level 1 nursing student to be familiar with NCLEX style question and topics.
- Sarah Miller:
This is a massive NCLEX review organized by systems and subspecialties (pediatric is divided into endo, integumentary, etc.). The reviews at the beginning of the chapter are great little summaries but by no means do they cover everything you need to know, ESPECIALLY infection control measures regarding the diseases! I had several NCLEX questions that went into much more detail than this book covers. The questions are great I would recommend doing all of them and then reviewing the rationales (even if you get them correct). The Saunders book doesn’t teach “strategy” as much as Kaplan does, but it truly reviews the material for you. I used this book a lot during nursing school to review med-surge topics. For NCLEX review, I’d recommend doing around 50 questions a day if possible.One area missing that brought my review down to 4 stars- prioritization! I had a TON of these on my NCLEX and felt they were my weakest area (I still passed the first time around, though, and I really thank the review I got from this book!).
- Timeshare Burch:
This book really helped me get past this last semester. I bought this mainly for my pharmacology class. Around the middle of the semester, I had a 79. This book, along with increased study hours, helped me pass the class with an 84. Would definitely recommend it!
helped me pass the NCLEX!!!!!
I swear by this book. I used the 7th edition all during nursing school and bought the 8th edition as soon as it was released. This was the only book I used to study for the NCLEX, and I recently took and passed the NCLEX on the first try! I will always refer back to this book when needed in my future career.
Great guide that helped me prepare for my NCLEX exam. Information was to the point and had key information that was a must-know in order to be successful!
- Jasmine Spencer:
I bought the book to have a better understanding of Nclex type questions and this book breaks it down well. I am about to start the nursing program in January and I feel this book will make my journey a lot smoother. Thanks to all the YouTube channels I watched.
Read this book thoroughly if you want to leave the building thinking “hey that was actually kinda easy?” (Granted it was my second time taking it, but quite the polar opposite to my first attempt post-reaction of “holy shit that was the hardest thing I’ve ever taken can I pls die”)Took off a star cuz 1) the rationales for the practice questions are kinda ass. Ex: “Use knowledge of corticosteroids” “Know that heparin affects aPTT, not PT/INR, to deduce that the answer is A” Like no shit dude. 2) I felt like the book focused on the path a tad bit too much and sometimes didn’t elaborate enough on the nursing interventions. Like paths is v important don’t get me wrong. But the NCLEX doesn’t test on path!!! 3) Also gotta chuckle at some of the shortcuts this book took. “Interventions for Hepatitis
B: ____. Interventions for Hepatitis C: see interventions for Hep. B. Interventions for Hepatitis D: similar to interventions for Hep. C” It happened frequently enough for me to notice.All in all, worthwhile book. I wish I got it while in nursing school and used it for my first attempt. The content review is SUPER helpful. I recommend using this book WITH UWorld for their much superior rationales/practice questions
Great comprehensive book! Will come in handy with knowing what nursing school exams will ask, in preparation for the NCLEX. Also, love that this book comes with a code for practice computer exams on the Elsevier website.
10/10. Wish I had found it sooner. Goes with Lowdermilk, Ignatavicius, and Hockenberry textbooks. Gives outlines for all the information that will be covered on the NCLEX as well as practice questions. Great resource.
Just wrote my NCLEX last week and I passed in 60 questions! I used this textbook if I ever wanted to do some extra questions on a subject or need a further explanation! In addition, the day before my NCLEX I did some questions throughout the textbook to see where I was and it helped me feel prepared for the actual exam.
highly recommend this book with UWORLD!
both have helped me pass 🙂
only 4/5 stars because of the price, other than that would definitely worth it.
The must-have book from day one in nursing school. I just passed the NCLEX in 75 questions the first time. I studied this book and found it helpful not only in passing the board exam but in class as well. I also used Pearson, Hurst, Kaplan to study for the board.
- Kasey Gibb:
I would read a chapter or two from this book and then do the corresponding Uworld questions. I got in the 94th percentile on Uworld with this method and passed my NCLEX in 60 questions. I recommend using this and Uworld to pass the NCLEX.